If I was going to be lying on a beach this year, which of my TBR list would I take with me?
That got me thinking – what are the criteria for a good beach read?
These are also Questions of the Month, posed by Michael D’Agostino of A Life Examined. See what others are saying!
My criteria for a good beach are easy…
- It must have sand. I can’t abide pebbly beaches, they hurt my feet. Although they don’t leave sand in awkward places. Where does all that sand come from when you shower in your room afterwards, anyway?
- It must have a relatively clean sea. Clean is something that people see differently. Some don’t even like seaweed around. I don’t mind seaweed, I do mind human detritus. And dog detritus. Cattle and sealion detritus I’ll forgive.
- It should have some shade, since I’m not good at lying out in the sun the whole day, but I can sit on a beach all day.
- It should preferably have rocks/rockpools/interest at low tide.
- It should not have music. The waves and bird sounds are music to my ears.
- Drinks are optional.
So what about the book?
- It should grip without you having to study.
- It should be easy to put down but easy to pick up again.
- It should stir the senses and play with the emotions.
- It may well be by a trusted author.
- It must be properly edited.
- It should not have an embarrassing cover.
I suspect the last one is one reason I tend to read books set in cold countries or winter when I’m on a sunny beach, and vice versa. Maybe it’s something to do with temperature regulation?
So, what are you reading on the beach this year? I’m taking The Martian by Andy Weir, but I can recommend each of the books I’m reviewing this August – come back on Saturdays (or Mondays, or any other day) to check them out – and get another entry in the giveaway! Funny how they all have much the same colour cover.
And all this is part of Valerie’s Stuck in Books Beach Reads in August Giveaway Hop.
Want to win a book of your choice (or $10 gift card)?
Enter my giveaway (closes 14th August, midnight EST) and then go hopping!