I have so many series I’m reading, it can be a problem to know which to read next. In some ways, I don’t want to finish reading them, but just as with Harry Potter, one has to stop sometime. And then do another.
CJ at Great Middle Grade Reads suggested we do a series challenge (which we are), and I remembered seeing the one below on the Reading Challenge Addict.
Celebrity Reader has put this series reading challenge #Finishingtheseries2018 together, with the following guidelines:
- The challenge will run from January 1st, 2018 to December 31st, 2018. Books must be read during this time frame to count. Sign up is open from now until December 1st, 2018, so you may join even just for the last month of the year.
- Series can be already completed as well as still ongoing. For ongoing series, the goal is to catch up to the most recent book published. For example, I’m hoping to catch up on the Winston Brothers series by Penny Reid, but I know there will still be another book coming in 2019 before that series is considered complete. I would just need to read all the books published before the end of 2018 to qualify it as completed for this challenge. So assuming the release schedule remains the same, that would include Dr. Strangebeard but not Beard Necessities.
- We don’t care if you have only 1 book or 10 books to read in order to finish your series, as long as you’ve started the series before 2018 (ie read at least one book in the series), it counts. Re-reads are not required.
- Any format and length of book counts – print, ebook, audio, ARC, etc.
- Series can be any length (even if it’s just a Duet).
- Crossovers from other challenges are totally acceptable!
- Reviews are not required, but highly encouraged.
There are three levels of success, banded into C-List, 1 – 4 series; B-list, 5-8, and A-List, 9+.
I’ve signed up to finish these series on GMGR:
- Shadows from the Past by Wendy Leighton-Porter (I’ve read 6 of 9 to date, plus one in preparation) Update now 9 of 9.
- Wrinkle in Time Quintet by Madeleine l’Engel (I’ve read 1 of 5)
My ‘adult’ book series to complete are:
- The Falco series by Lindsey Davis (read 18 of 20)
- Dining Out Around the Solar System by Clare O’Beara (1 of 3) Update now 2 of 4.
- Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths (6 of 10) update now 10 of 10
- The Emperor’s Edge by Lindsay Buroker (6 of 9, not counting those with decimal points)
- Pismawallops PTA series by Rebecca M Douglass (2 of 3, with the third due out in March) update now 3 of 3
The question is whether I want to finish any of these so suddenly. I’d miss them. Although Falco’s daughter has her own series (read 1 of 6 already!), and I have what seems like millions of ‘first in series’ on my list.
I think I’ll be conservative and aim to finish the two MG series, and get at least two of the others read. That’s at least 12 books off my TBR, and sees me with a target of four series. I could make that five….
…except for the way I find more in the series when I go back to them (apart from Falco).
1. Dining Out Around the Solar System (now 4 in series)
- Dining Out….Book 1 – Feb-18
- Dining Out Among the Gas Giants Book 2- Dec-15
2. Shadows from the Past (9 in series – series finished for the challenge)
- Shadow of the Norman Arrow (book 7) – Feb-18
- Shadow of the Two Princes (book 8) – Apr-18
- Shadow of the Tudor Rose (book 9) – Apr 18
3. Ruth Galloway mysteries (10 so far – series finished for the challenge)
- The Ghost Fields (book 7) – Feb-18
- The Woman in Blue (book 8) – Apr-18
- The Chalk Pit (book 9) – Apr-18
- The Dark Angel (book 10) – Apr-18 (I had an Elly Griffiths BookFest at Easter!)
4. Pismawallops PTA cozy mysteries (now three in series; finished for the challenge)
- Death by Adverb (book 3) – Mar 18