The Alphabet Soup reading challenge
is run by Lori Caswell at Escape with Dollycas into a Good Book
The challenge is to read one book whose title gives you a letter of the alphabet, not counting A and The as starting letters, making 26 in all. I’ll be adding my titles that qualify during the year, just one per letter, and linking them to my reviews here. The challenge, of course is to come up with books for the difficult letters, although Lori allows some leeway in where the Q, X or Z turns up in the title.
You can do book titles or the Author edition: same idea, but this time the author’s name determines the letter. I did this version in 2019, and a sort of mixture in 2020.
- 2016: I completed the list with Zoe & Zak and the Yogi’s Curse (although Goodreads does categorise it under Y), and book 1 in the Adventures of the X Pirates series.
- 2017: I decided to let the X go, but searching my list on just X brought up Extraordinary… so I offered that. So… I did it!
- 2018: After a late push to get several letters like L P & H read, I finished with 25/26. I missed X, as I couldn’t get hold of a copy of the GMGR book for the letter X.
- 2019: the Alphabet Soup Author Edition – complete!
- 2020: Abandoned X but achieved all the rest.
- 2021: ditto. My main problem is–having put some X titles on my list– I don’t want to read most of them!
Challenge for 2022
Back to basics again – or keeping it simple. Titles of books, not counting A or The, with some leeway on where Q, X or Z appear. I’m giving myself a clue for books I’ve noticed already.
A – Acts
B – Boy
C – Cat
E – Edge
F – Fractions
G – Ghost
H – Half
I – Image
J – Just
K – Knight
L – Lessons
M – Many
N – Night
O – The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (read Jan-22)
P – Project
Q – Quantum
R – Raven
S – Shafter
T – Theatre
U – Unseen
V – Vendetta
W – When We Were Birds by Ayanna Lloyd Banwo (read Jan-22)
X – Xander
Y – Yinka
Z – Zoo