1. A book with a word of phrase relating to wildness in the title – any interpretation of the word “wild” is acceptable (eg: The Call of the Wild, Angry Aztecs, Crazy for You; An Untamed State)
At last – Into the Wild, by Erin Hunter. Erin is pretty wild, too!
2. A book with a species of bird (or the word “bird”) in the title: (eg: The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Thorn Birds, Turkey: A Modern History)
A Siege of Bitterns by Steve Burrows. Enjoyable murder mystery with plenty of twists, first in a series of ‘Birder Murder Mysteries’.
3. A book with an exotic or far-flung location in the title – fantasy and mythical locations are acceptable (eg: Paradise Lost, The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu, Atlantis Rising)
I’m offering the Time Traveller’s Resort and Museum (David McLain) for this, since it’s definitely exotic and a very far-flung.
4. A book with an object you might hunt for in the title (eg: Treasure Island, One for the Money, The History of Love, Dreams from my Father, A Monster Calls, All the Answers)
I’m offering The Whispering Skull (Jonathan Stroud) for this category.
5. A book with a synonym for chase in the title (or its derivatives: chasing, chased, etc) (eg: We’re Going on a Bear Hunt, The Girl Who Chased the Moon, Follow the River, Man’s Search for Meaning, The Night Stalker)
If I’m desperate, I’ll offer Sea (The Huntress #1, Sarah Driver)
6. A book with a means of transport in the title (eg: If I Built a Car, Walk Two Moons, The Girl on the Train)
The Ship Who Sang (Brainships #1) by Anne McCaffrey. Yay!
7. A book with an object you might take on a search or hunt in the title (eg: The Golden Compass, The Map to Everywhere, Water for Elephants, Team of Rivals )
Well The Ugly Teapot (Fred Holmes) was the cause of the search for the lost cave in this book, so I reckon as they had to take it with them, it counts for this challenge!
There’s a link for each of the categories for you to add your successfully read title as you go.
Books on my list that seem relevant:
- The Time Hunters
- Tourist Trap
Into the Wild
- The Elegant Universe… the Quest for…
… and it isn’t easy to think of them!
Update: 5th August. Just have the bird and the transport to go. I’ve just upgraded a bird one to my ‘currently reading’. Still thinking about transport – when in came a BOTM from the Space Opera Group. Thank you so much!
Update 15th September: and I’m done!