I’ve been writing flash fiction, posting on my blog on Fridays, since May 2013. I owe a huge debt to Chuck Wendig for posting weekly prompts and generally wrangling all his writing followers. He’s now such a busy author and dad that the prompts are irregular, and I hope he doesn’t mind me storing some of the best of them here for future reference. If you use them, please give him some credit.
Click the type of prompt you want this week…
- base your story around one of the seven deadly sins
- start it with a bang
- start it with a knock at the door
- base it around a map
- take an iconic scene from a classic film or book and retell it in your own genre and setting
- find a headline that needs a better story
- Use a photo – from a random photo site, or just one you come across
- combine some ridiculous elements – I did ‘ridiculously over the top humorous romance with a vampire under the sea in a spaceship eating sushi in a convent’
Five story seeds – choose one:
- A child is born under mysterious circumstances.
- A dead body goes missing.
- A mysterious journal is found.
- An accident occurs that may be no accident.
- An impossible animal appears.
There are plenty of resources on the web, too. Try http://writingexercises.co.uk/index.php for a host of different approaches.