This Non-Fiction Adventure is an interesting challenge from Gather Together and Read. The challenge is to read 50 non-fiction books over ten years. I chose that target – 50 books is the minimum, and five to ten years the suggested timescale. You can change either or both; book numbers up and timescale down!
Some qualifying books I bought ten years ago, so it’s about time I read them. I’ll update the list with numbers and how long they’ve been on my TBR as I read them.
- Climate Change and the Health of Nations (TBR Jun-16, read Jan-17, Net-galley, kindle)
- Flight: 100 years of aviation (TBR Dec-16, read Jan-17, impromptu library selection)
- An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth (TBR Mar-16, read Mar-17, own paperback)
- Perilous Question (TBR Jul-17 – read Aug-17, bookclub – from library )
On my TBR list/shelf
- Blueprint for a Safer Planet
- A Brief History of Time
- Transition Handbook
- What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions
- A Little History of British Gardening
- The Elegant Universe
- He Knew He Was Right
- The History of Natural Philosophy
- Among the Believers: An Islamic Journey
- The Bletchley Girls
- Words & Pictures: Writers, Artists and a Peculiarly British Tradition
- Cultural Babbage
- Going Solo
- The Edge of the World: How the North Sea Made Us Who We Are
- The Cosmic Tourist
- The Dhammapada
- A Pattern of Islands
- Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale
- Quantum: Einstein, Bohr and the Great Debate About the Nature of Reality
- The Diary of a Young Girl
- Galapagos Dreams
- High Road to Tibet
- Nick and Tesla’s High-Voltage Danger Lab: A Mystery with Electromagnets, Burglar Alarms, and Other Gadgets You Can Build Yourself
- Writing Fight Scenes
- A Life in Secrets: Vera Atkins and the Missing Agents of WWII.
- 1066: The Year of Conquest
- Tolkien on Fairy Stories
- Endurance: The Life and Times of Emil Zatopek
- Rise of the Rocket Girls: The Women Who Propelled Us, from Missiles to the Moon to Mars
- Owls: Our Most Enchanting Birds
- Hello, is this planet Earth?
- Tschiffely’s Ride
That’s over thirty non-fiction adventure books! Some of them I discovered on my shelves but hadn’t added to my TBR list – and there may be more of those, although some are ‘dip intos’ rather than ‘reads’. It’s an interesting mix, as much to tell you what my interests are, as anything else! I’m updating this list with any qualifying books I buy or add to my TBR.