If you have an agent and a publisher who handle all this stuff between them, and just tell you where and when to be places, or to approve some copy or to check your local paper, or whatever they do, pass on to the next in this month’s Insecure Writers Support Group posts.
You may have gathered I’ve got a new book coming out – after all, I was whingeing about editing last month.
Actually, when I got down to it, I rather enjoyed it. Structure is everything and I had a long list of things to check and do, and added a few more as I went. I have to add the word ‘Look’ to my ‘seek and destroy’ list. Words I overuse. Look, I don’t make the rules, I just look them up, stare at my keyboard, look up at the screen in disgust and look out of the window for inspiration – then give you a sideways look if you’re watching me.
Having finally reached the stage where I really was satisfied with the book, putting it into the kindle and smashwords ebook files, then the Createspace template, and then the Blurb template, was all tedious, but strangely exhilarating once they all passed their various automatic and real person checks. The Perihelix is ready for pre-order.
Then comes the launch plan.
This really started months ago. I had a date in mind (January, but regular readers will appreciate the slippage reasons); I brought out a sampler as a teaser for people who might be interested. I set up the Facebook page, and occasional tweets in the ‘coming soon’ line. I did the occasional newsletter to my Viridian System website followers, with titbits and offers. Raising Awareness, it’s called.
Once the launch date is more or less set, you can let loose the dogs of war, or whatever plans you have to get it in the public eye. So we now have:
- a Goodreads giveaway (started 28 Jan, ends 29 Feb)
- a book blast post (scheduled for 15th Feb on here) with an interview with me for anyone who would like it (leave a comment below and I’ll get back to you by email if you would)
- a BookGorillaz feature, from 17th February, which is quite a chunk of money for me to splash, but it is the first in a series and I think it’s worth it
- a BookGoodies front page feature, from 15th February, largely because they made me an offer I couldn’t resist
- a Goodreads Click-thru advert from 11th February (more pre-orders would be good) which might last till after the launch if lots of people click-through
- tweets tweeting on a not too frequent basis, but with covers to catch the eye (I’ve only just got into pictures on Twitter)
- an Author Shout – Cover Wars stint w/c 13th March – please go and vote for me!
- note to self: remember to do a press release to my local paper
- and other free advertising or promotion wherever I can get it.
This post, of course, is a shameless request to you to help me out by posting, tweeting and liking The Perihelix wherever you see it. But I have to use my networks, and IWSG is one of them. If we can’t help each other, who can we help?
So if you’re stuck for a blog post any time between now and the end of February, feel free to grab my Book Blast. I’ll do a special interview with you if you would like one. I’ll even attempt to jump through hoops – just don’t video that and put it on Facebook. Leave a comment and I’ll get back to you.
And watch out for my analysis of all this effort, and whether it was worth it – probably the May or June IWSG.
Happy February and see you next month – or on Fridays for my Flash Fiction 🙂