It is organised by My Reader’s Block, an Australian site 🙂 and you can read all the details HERE.
The key is to sign up to a mountain of books you are going to read, and report on your progress quarterly. The books that count are ones you have in your possession at the end of the previous year – no additions and ARCs or library books, or anything like that afterwards. As usual with these challenges you can upgrade to a higher level if you find you’re doing well, but you can’t downgrade.
Why not sign up to read your own pile – the basic level is 12, or one a month.
My previous attempts at scaling Mount TBR
2016 – aimed at 24 and reached 26
2017 – aiming for Mt Vancouver (36 books) Got to 32 and had to push to get there – I took too many ARCs for the later stages of the year
2018 – It was a very close run thing – but I stepped onto the summit of Mount Vancouver at 8 pm on 31st Dec!
2019 – abject failure, only achieving 2 1/2 mountains (28/36). Oh well, onwards and upwards.
2020 – very pleased to report that, thanks to reading a stack of shorter books in December, I made it to Mount Vancouver (36 books)
Yes, I have signed up to scale Mount Vancouver again (36 books) for 2021. It’s the only way to push me into reducing my TBR. Titles link to reviews here.
- The Weather Weaver by Tamsin Nori (tbr Nov-20)
- The Galaxy, and the Ground Within (Wayfarers#4) by Becky Chambers (tbr Aug-20)
- The Lantern Men (Dr Ruth Galloway #12) by Elly Griffiths (tbr Mar-19)
- Preparing to Write Settings that Feel Like Characters by J Lenni Dorner (tbr on kindle Jun-16)
- Dangerous Women by Hope Adams (tbr Nov-20)
- The Rose Code by Kate Quinn (tbr Nov-20)
- Sign of the Green Dragon by C Lee Mckenzie (tbr Nov-16)
- Among the Stars ed. by Kristine Kathryn Rusch (tbr Mar-19)
- Rea and the Blood of the Nectar by Payal Doshi (tbr Nov-20)
- The Iron Tactician by Alistair Reynolds (tbr Apr-20)
- Outlaw Heroes by Deanna Lynn Sletten (tbr Nov-13)
- Under the Light of the Full Moon by D A McGrath (tbr Jun-18) +++ First mountain climbed+++
- Finding Sustainability by Trent A Romer (tbr Nov-20)
- The Saturn System: Through the Eyes of Cassini by NASA (tbr Sep-17)
- The Kingdoms by Natasha Pulley (tbr Nov-20)
- Trouble with Tattle-Tails by Jonathan Auxier (tbr Nov-20)
- Hans & Greta: a Twisted Fairy-tale by Nicki Elson (tbr Nov-15)
- Max’s Arabian Adventure by Wendy Leighton-Porter (tbr Nov -20) +++ Halfway point! +++
- Goth Girl and the Ghost of a Mouse by Chris Riddell (tbr May-17)
- Queen & Commander by Janine A Southard (tbr Mar-18)
- Moonlight Dancer by Deb Atwood (tbr Oct 18)
- The Cosmic Tourist by May, Moore and Lintott (tbr Jul-14)
- The Perfect Life by Nuala Ellwood (tbr Nov-20)
- The Year of Shadows by Claire Legrand (tbr Aug-18) +++ Second Mountain climbed!!+++
- Joining of Lines (Drath verse #2) by Meyari McFarland (tbr Mar-19)
- A Swiftly Tilting Planet (Time Quintet #3) by Madeleine L’Engle (tbr Feb-18)
- Clash of Lines (Drath verse #1) by Meyari McFarland (tbr Mar-19)
- Encrypted (Encrypted #1) by Lindsay Buroker (tbr Nov-18)
- Chase Tinker and the House of Magic (Chase Tinker #1) by Malia Ann Haberman (tbr Jan-17)
- The Night Hawks (Ruth Galloway #13) by Elly Griffiths (tbr Feb-20)
- The Razor’s Edge (Zelda Pryce #1) by Joss Llewelyn (tbr Aug-14)
- Free-Wrench by Joseph R Lallo (tbr Mar-16)
- The Voyage of the White Cloud by M Darusha Wehm (tbr Jul-20)
- Space Opera by Catherynne M Valente (tbr Apr-18)
- Bargain with Fate (Sage: Book 2) by Marian Allen (tbr Apr-20)
- Finishing the Hat by Stephen Sondheim (tbr Dec-17)
Mount Vancouver scaled and Mount TBR goal for 2021 achieved!!
and I’ve already started on 2022:
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (tbr Apr-15)
- When We Were Birds by Ayanna Lloyd Banwo (tbr Nov-21)
- I, Mona Lisa by Natasha Solomons (tbr Nov-21)