My thanks go to Bruce Gargoyle once more, for introducing me to this challenge – which is designed to get those already-purchased, sitting-on-the-shelf-and-ereader books READ!
It is organised by My Reader’s Block, an Australian site 🙂 and you can read all the details HERE.
The key is to sign up to a mountain of books you are going to read, and report on your progress quarterly. The books that count are ones you have in your possession on January 1st 2017 – no additions and ARCs or anything like that afterwards, although I am including library books for long-standing titles on my list. As usual with these challenges you can upgrade to a higher level if you find you’re doing well, but you can’t downgrade.
I have over 520 on my TBR list, and at least half of those I now own, given the state of my kindle and my physical TBR shelf. But I got through more than my original target in 2016, so I’ll stretch myself and sign up for more this year: the 36 level – Mt. Vancouver!
Why not sign up to read your own pile – the basic level is 12, or one a month.
My 2017 list
Challenge tally (and date I put them on my TBR):
- Climate Change and the Health of Nations by Anthony J McMichael (June-16 ARC)
- The Blackhouse by Peter May (July-14)
- How to Stage A Catastrophe by Rebecca Connelly (Nov-16 ARC)
- Pair Alleles (Derivatives of Displacement #4) by Jennifer Ellis (Sep-16)
- The Time Travellers Resort and Museum by David McLain (Dec-16)
- Dying Fall (Ruth Galloway #5) by Elly Griffiths (Sep-15)
- The Whispering Skull (Lockwood & Co #2) by Jonathan Stroud (Oct-16)
- Gangsta Granny by David Walliams (Dec-16)
- An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth by Chris Hadfield (Mar-16)
- Mercenary Instinct by Ruby Lionsdrake (Dec-15)
- The Hippopotamus by Stephen Fry (Dec-14)
- Oy Yew by Ana Salote (Mar-16) *** Level 1 complete ***
- The Camelot Kids, Book 1 by Ben Zackheim (Jan-16)
- Death by Pumpkin by Noelle A Granger (Dec-16)
- Blood Sister by Dreda Say Mitchell (Sep-16)
- The Queen’s Envoy by David Prosser (Jan-12)
- Blood Moon by Rebecca Weinstein (Nov-13)
- Shirley Link and the Black Cat by Ben Zackheim (Oct-13)
- The Fourteenth Goldfish by Jennifer L Holm (Aug-14)
- All the Light We Cannot See by Antony Doerr (Dec-14)
- The Giver by Lois Lowry (Dec-15)
- Into the Wild (Warriors #1) by Erin Hunter (Dec-15)
- A Siege of Bitterns (Birder Murder Mystery #1) by Steve Burrows (Dec-14)
- Kit’s Wilderness by David Almond (Jun-14) *** Level 2 complete ***
- The Outcast Dead (Ruth Galloway #6) by Elly Griffiths (Jan-14)
- Gasp of the Ghoulish Guinea Pig by Sam Hay (May-16)
- The Voyages of the Seven by R E Weber (Jan-15)
- Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson (Jan-12)
- Zero Sum Game by S L Huang (Jun-16)
- The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (May-16)
The sign up for this challenge for 2017, is here! https://myreadersblock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/2017-mount-tbr-challenge-sign-up.html
I have a couple of re-reads that I thought of adding – but they weren’t on my TBR, so they don’t qualify.
Update 1st November: with eight weeks to go, I need another eight TBRs to reach my goal. Of the seven books on my currently reading list (i.e. my priorities) three are ARCs for release in the next five weeks, and the other four are all for other challenges, although they will also be going on this TBR list. So, unless I find time to read them between Christmas and New Year, I’m going to be four TBRs short, although I could backtrack on a couple of bookclub books I didn’t find time to read on schedule. Moral: stop taking ARCs!
2nd December. Having finished the Graveyard Book, I’m still six short.
2018 Sign-up List
Watch out for next year’s Mount TBR Challenge. I’ll be going for 36 again. Maybe I’ll make it…