I have so many series I’m reading, and it’s only got worse since I did this challenge last.
That was in 2018. I listed 8 series then, and either completed, or caught up to date with all the books out by the start of the year.
I’m now behind with six of them!
And, even worse, it seems that I have read first (or later) books in several more series. Even if I don’t finish (or catch up with) all of them, it would be nice to feel I’m making progress with those I really do want to read.
So I’m going to do this reading challenge again.
2022 Finishing the Series Challenge
Celebrity Reader has put this series reading challenge #Finishingtheseries2022 together, with the following guidelines:
- The challenge will run from January 1st, 2022 to December 31st, 2022. Books must be read during this time frame to count. Sign up is open from now until December 1st 2022, so you may join even just for the last month of the year.
- Series can be already completed as well as still ongoing. For ongoing series, the goal is to catch up to the most recent book published.
- We don’t care if you have only 1 book or 10 books to read in order to finish your series, as long as you’ve started the series before 2022 (ie read at least one book in the series), it counts. Re-reads are not required.
- Any format and length of book counts – print, ebook, audio, ARC, etc.
- Series can be any length (even if it’s just a Duet).
- Crossovers from other challenges are totally acceptable!
- Reviews are not required, but highly encouraged.
There are three levels of success, banded into C-List, 1 – 4 series; B-list, 5-8, and A-List, 9+.
Series to choose from
My series to consider are:
- Shadows from the Past by Wendy Leighton-Porter. I’d read 9 of 9 in 2018. Wendy has published more and added Max’s Adventures as counting. She’s at 17 now (and she’s planning 21 or 24).
- Wrinkle in Time Quintet (Time Quintet) by Madeleine l’Engel. I’ve read 3 of 5 now, and I have the paperbacks on my shelf…
- The Flavia Alba series by Lindsey Davis (read 4 of 9, 10th due in 2022). I may just make progress on this
- Dining Out Around the Solar System by Clare O’Beara. 3 of 3 by 2019, but there’s a fourth to read now. Maybe it’s time.
- Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths. I’m up to date now, but there’s another out this February, which means I don’t have to read it this year. Yeah, just kidding!
- The Emperor’s Edge by Lindsay Buroker. I read all seven, of the original series, but there are at least two more additions to pick up.
- Pismawallops PTA series by Rebecca M Douglass. I beta read these, and I’m up to date.
- Marwood & Lovett series by Andrew Taylor. I’ve read 1 and 5, so this needs sorting out!
- Louise Penny’s Chief Inspector Gamache series… another where I’ve read the first – and one of the latest! There’s fifteen in between. Maybe read one or two and leaving the ‘finishing for a few year’s time.
- Marian Allen’s Sage Trilogy. I enjoyed The Fall of Onagros so much in 2020 that I went out and bought the rest of the series. I finished the second one in December, helping me get to my Mount TBR total. I’d better read the third before I lose track of who’s who again.
I also have what seems like millions of ‘first in series’ on my list, but many I only gave three stars to. I want to progress some of the better ones:
- Joseph Lallo’s Free-Wrench, which I enjoyed, has six listed in the series.
- Alex J Cavanaugh’s CassaStar is now at four books and a prequel, which I’m not counting. I’ve read the first, and have an ARC for the fourth. Better fill the others in!
- Lindsay Buroker’s Encrypted is a Duet, and I’ll almost certainly read the next in 2022
- Rosemary Kirstein’s The Steerswoman grabbed me… there are four in the series
- Elly Griffiths’ Harbinder Kaur books might turn into a series – I do hope so!
- I enjoyed Sabrina Chase’s first in the Sequoyah trilogy – so that’s a possible
- Rebel of the Sands series by Alwyn Hamilton caught my attention. It’s a trilogy, and I think I’ve listed the second to read already.
- Finally, Russell’s Attic has been knocking on my door since I read the first in 2018. The trouble is, the author has ‘reissued it as Cas Russell’ in just three books. Well, I have the first three Russell’s Attic in my Kindle, so I’ll go with that.
I think I’ll be conservative and aim to finish or catch up with at least five, but no more than eight series. I can limit this if I only do those already on my TBR mountain!
1. Dining Out Around the Solar System (4 in series)
- Dining with the Gas Giants (book 3) – Feb-19
- Dining out on Planet Mercury (book 4)
2. Shadows from the Past (17 in series so far including 6 Max Adventures, which are novella-size)
- Max’s Undercover Adventure (book 12)
- Shadow of the Tudor Rose (book 13) – Apr 18
- Max’s Halloween Adventure (book 14)
- Shadow of the Witchfinder (book 15)
- Max’s Royal Adventure (book 16)
- Shadow of the Great Fire (book 17)
3. Flavia Alba series by Lindsey Davies (9 so far)
- The Graveyard of the Hesperides (book 4) April-20
- The Third Nero (book 5)
- Pandora’s Boy (book 6)
- A Capitol Death (Book 7)
- The Grove of the Caesars (book 8)
- A Comedy of Terrors (book 9)
4. The Sage Trilogy by Marian Allen (3 books)
- The Fall of Onagros (book 1) – Apr-20
- Bargain with Fate (book 2) – Dec-21
- Silver and Iron (book 3)
5. The Emperor’s Edge (9. And a half – or maybe four halves)
- Forged in Blood II (book 7) – Sep-18
- Solstice Day Gifts (book 7.5)
- Republic (book 8)
- Diplomats and Fugitives (book 9)
- There are three earlier ‘half’ books. I’m not sure that’s fair to make me go back to 1.5.
6. Encrypted series (2 and a half)
- Encrypted (book 1) – Aug 21
- Enigma (book 1.5)
- Decrypted (book 2)
7. Time Quintet (5 books)
- A Swiftly Tilting Planet (book 3) – Aug-21
- Many Waters (book 4)
- An Acceptable Time (book 5)
8. Russell’s Attic (5 books)
- Zero Sum Game (Book 1) – Nov 17
- Half Life (book 2)
- Root of Unity (book 3)
- Plastic Smile (book 4)
- Golden Mean (book 5)
9. CassaStar series (4 books)
- CassaStar (book 1) – Mar 20
- CassaFire (book 2)
- CassaStorm (book 3)
- CassaDark (book 4)
10 The Steerswoman by Rosemary Kirstein (4 Books)
- The Steerswoman (book 1) – Nov-20
- The Outskirter’s Secret (book 2)
- The Lost Steersman (book 3)
- The Language of Power (book 4)