I like a challenge to keep me on my toes, or focused, or something. For the past few years I’ve blogged about them occasionally, and included the badges and links in my sidebars.
In order to keep things neater, especially in view of the rise of browsing by phone or tablet, I’m putting all my challenges in one page, with sub-pages so you can see how reading ones are going. Writing and blogging challenges tend to be self-evident on the blog!
The main blog challenge I participate in is the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge, otherwise known as AprilA2Z and other short forms. I’ve decided I simply can’t stay away from this one, even when I combine it with Camp NaNoWriMo, which I did last year. This year I worked on something involving travel, in fact I was looking at World Heritage Sites.But I got thinking, that maybe I don’t keep visitors for A2Z through the year because the rest of the year I blog differently. So I did daily posts of things I usually did and called my theme ‘My Blog’.
They changed the set-up this year, and to my mind, it is no longer worth the effort. I need to find my audience a different way. So 2017 was probably my last A 2 Z Challenge.
Update: yeah, well, it’s addictive isn’t it? So for 2018 I did Inspirations for my writing. I still say I’m not going to do it again.
- 2012 theme was the A to Z of the Princelings world.
- 2013 theme: short stories
- 2014 theme: the NATO alphabet
- 2015 theme: natural phenomena
- 2016 theme: world-building
- 2017 theme: My Blog
30 Days Wild
This year (2018) I completed the UK Wildlife Trusts’ 30 Days Wild challenge throughout June. That was really tough, since a lot of it was blogging about things you did as the month went on, rather than scheduled posts for A to Z. But it was fun, dynamic, and got me out and about a bit more.
History: 2017 read 63/52 books; 2016 read 65/52 books; 2015 read 63/60 books; 2014 read 61/60 books; 2013 read 53/50 books.
To read 50 non-fiction books over 10 years, 2017 to 2026.
- 2017 total: 5
- 2018 total:
Challenges for 2018:
- Mount TBR Challenge (target 36)
- Alphabet Soup Challenge (A – Z)
- Official 2018 TBR Pile Challenge (12 books, pre-listed)
- Cloak and Dagger Reading Challenge (target Amateur Sleuth – 5 to 15 books)
- 2018 Finishing the Series Challenge (target at present, C-list, 4 series)
I should add, that being a Reading Challenge Addict, I also sign up for the Reading Addicts’s Challenge, to complete 5 Reading Challenges a year!
- 2014 KidLit Safari Challenge – 8/10 sections completed
- 2014 Mad Reviewer Challenge – Crazy Reviewer award (52 books reviewed)
- 2013 YA & MG Time Travel Challenge – 10 time travel books read
- 2013 MG Classic Book Challenge – 12 books read
Continuing each Friday: Chuck Wendig‘s Flash Fiction Challenge, although this is now more of ‘in the spirit of Chuck’ since he rarely has time to challenge us.
Third Wednesday of the month – Fiction in 50 #Fi50
Last Friday of the month: FlashBack Friday
Summer – Camp NaNoWriMo
- 2016 – July; finished first drafts of Willoughby the Narrator and The Princelings of the North (POTE 7 & 8)
- 2016 – April; wrote the first draft of Book 2 of the Viridian System series
- 2015 – edited the first Viridian series book – The Perihelix and sent to beta-readers
- 2014 – wrote the first draft of the first book in the Viridian System series
- 2013 – revised and rewrote Bravo Victor, book 6 in the Princelings of the East series
- 2012 – wrote the first draft of The Talent Seekers, book 5 in the Princelings series