I like a challenge to keep my reading and writing ordered. I blog about them occasionally, but no longer keep clickable links in my sidebars – save for the SpaceTime Reading Challenge, which I run.
I now have all my challenges in this page, with sub-pages for the reading ones are going. Writing and blogging challenges tend to be self-evident on the blog.
The main blog challenge I participate in is the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge, otherwise known as AprilA2Z and other short forms. I’ve decided that I don’t keep visitors for A2Z from early years because the rest of the year I blog differently. So now I try to do themes that fit more readily with ‘My Blog’.
- 2012 theme was the A to Z of the Princelings world.
- 2013 theme: short stories
- 2014 theme: the NATO alphabet
- 2015 theme: natural phenomena
- 2016 theme: world-building
- 2017 theme: My Blog
- 2018 theme: Inspirations for my writing
30 Days Wild
In 2018 I completed the UK Wildlife Trusts’ 30 Days Wild challenge throughout June. That was really tough, since a lot of it was blogging about things you did as the month went on, rather than scheduled posts for A to Z. But it was fun, dynamic, and got me out and about a bit more.
I occasionally do more ‘wild’ posts using the hashtag #staywild.
I’ve given up trying to get the script for the Reading Challenge widget. You can just have this nice progress bar update. I’m trying to read fewer books, just one a week. Somehow (probably because of the Reading Challenges and bookclub books) I end up reading more.
History: 2018 read 68/52 books; 2017 read 63/52 books; 2016 read 65/52 books; 2015 read 63/60 books; 2014 read 61/60 books; 2013 read 53/50 books.
- 2017 total: 5
- 2018 total: 6
- 2019 target: 5 (currently +6)
Challenges for 2019: see progress on their pages
- Mount TBR Challenge (target 36)
- Alphabet Soup Challenge Author Edition (A – Z)
- Colour Coded Reading Challenge (target 9)
- SpaceTime Reading Challenge (target 10)
- 2019 New Releases Reading Challenge (min 12, max 16)
I’m also keeping my mind open on the Cloak and Dagger Challenge for 2019. I’ve not signed up, as crime books are not on my priority list for review. But I like them (and they don’t interfere with my own writing), and so do most of my audience.
Being a Reading Challenge Addict, I also sign up for the Reading Addicts’s Challenge, to complete 5 Reading Challenges a year!
- 2014 KidLit Safari Challenge – 8/10 sections completed
- 2014 Mad Reviewer Challenge – Crazy Reviewer award (52 books reviewed)
- 2013 YA & MG Time Travel Challenge – 10 time travel books read
- 2013 MG Classic Book Challenge – 12 books read
My main target is to submit three short stories (1000-10,000 words) to open calls this year.
Third Wednesday of the month – Fiction in 50 #Fi50
Last Friday of the month: FlashBack Friday
Summer – Camp NaNoWriMo
- 2019 – July; revised Chronicles of Marsh
- 2019 – April; finished the first draft of Chronicles of Marsh and wrote first draft of Princelings Revolution
- 2018 – July; revised Corsair
- 2017 – July; rewrote The Perihelix and did the first edit/rewrite of Curved Space to Corsair
- 2016 – July; finished first drafts of Willoughby the Narrator and The Princelings of the North (POTE 7 & 8)
- 2016 – April; wrote the first draft of Book 2 of the Viridian System series
- 2015 – edited the first Viridian series book – The Perihelix and sent to beta-readers
- 2014 – wrote the first draft of the first book in the Viridian System series
- 2013 – revised and rewrote Bravo Victor, book 6 in the Princelings of the East series
- 2012 – wrote the first draft of The Talent Seekers, book 5 in the Princelings series