I really enjoyed working on this challenge last year, so I’m doing it again.
Despite finishing 5 series last year, and eight the previous time I took part, I have a raft of part-read series. Of course, one of the problems is so many books I read are first in series. The new releases that are stand-alones seem to be a rarity.
2023 Finishing the Series Challenge
Celebrity Reader has put this series reading challenge #Finishingtheseries2023 together, with the following guidelines:
- The challenge will run from January 1st, 2023 to December 31st, 2023. Books must be read during this time frame to count. Sign up is open from now until December 1st 2023, so you may join even just for the last month of the year.
- Series can be already completed as well as still ongoing. For ongoing series, the goal is to catch up to the most recent book published.
- We don’t care if you have only 1 book or 10 books to read in order to finish your series, as long as you’ve started the series before 2023 (ie read at least one book in the series), it counts. Re-reads are not required.
- Any format and length of book counts – print, ebook, audio, ARC, etc.
- Series can be any length (even if it’s just a Duet).
- Crossovers from other challenges are totally acceptable!
- Reviews are not required, but highly encouraged.
There are three levels of success, banded into C-List, 1 – 4 series; B-list, 5-8, and A-List, 9+.
Series to choose from
I just have so many series to choose from:
- Shadows from the Past by Wendy Leighton-Porter is up to date for now, as are Flavia Albia, Ruth Galloway (last one due in Feburary, though) and other favourites.
- Wrinkle in Time Quintet (Time Quintet) by Madeleine l’Engel. I’ve read 3 of 5, and I have the paperbacks on my shelf…
- The Emperor’s Edge by Lindsay Buroker. I read all seven, of the original series, but there are at least two more additions to pick up.
- Marwood & Lovett series by Andrew Taylor. I’ve read 1 and 5, so this needs sorting out!
- Louise Penny’s Chief Inspector Gamache series… another where I’ve read the first – and one of the latest! There’s fifteen in between. Maybe read one or two and leaving the ‘finishing for a few year’s time.
- Joseph Lallo’s Free-Wrench, which I enjoyed – it’s steampunk/airship sort of scifi, has six listed in the series.
- Alex J Cavanaugh’s CassaStar is now at four books and a prequel, which I’m not counting. I’ve read the first and fourth. The others are on my Kindle.
- I listed Rosemary Kirstein’s The Steerswoman last year: there are four in the series and they are all on my Kindle
- I enjoyed the novella length prequel for Kristine Smith’s Jani Kilian Chronicles and bought the first three in a box set. Trouble is there are five now…
- I enjoyed Sabrina Chase’s first in the Sequoyah trilogy – so that’s a possible
- Rebel of the Sands series by Alwyn Hamilton caught my attention. It’s a trilogy, and I think I’ve listed the second to read already.
I aim to finish or catch up with at least five, but no more than eight series. I’m targeting my TBR mountain in particular!
1. The Emperor’s Edge by Lindsay Buroker (9 books) Two to read
- Forged in Blood II (book 7) – Sep-18
- Solstice Day Gifts (book 7.5) – reread Dec-22
- Republic (book 8)
- Diplomats and Fugitives (book 9)
2. Time Quintet by Madeline L’Engle (5 books) two more to read
- A Swiftly Tilting Planet (book 3) – Aug-21
- Many Waters (book 4)
- An Acceptable Time (book 5)
3. Marwood and Lovatt by Andrew Taylor (6 books), four more to read
- The Ashes of London (book 1) – Nov-17
- The Fire Court (book 2)
- The King’s Evil (book 3)
- The Last Protector (book 4)
- The Royal Secret – Mar-21 (book 5)
- The Shadows of London (book 6) expected March 23
4. Cassa series by Alex J Cavanaugh (4 books) two more to read
- CassaStar (book 1) – Mar-20
- CassaFire (book 2)
- CassaStorm (book 3)
- CassaDark (book 4) – Jan-22
5. The Steerswoman by Rosemary Kirstein (4 Books), three more to read
- The Steerswoman (book 1) – Nov-20
- The Outskirter’s Secret (book 2)
- The Lost Steersman (book 3)
- The Language of Power (book 4)
6. Dr Ruth Galloway by Elly Griffiths (15 Books), FINISHED
- The Locked Room (book 14) – Feb-22
- The Last Remains (book 15) – Jan-23
7. The Lanternfish series by C S Boyack (3 Books), FINISHED
- Voyage of the Lanternfish (book 1) – Aug-22
- HMS Lanternfish (book 2) – Nov-22
- Wreck of the Lanternfish (book 3) – Jan 23
8. The Jani Kilian Chronicles by Kristine Smith (5.5 Books), five to read
- Incident on a Small Colony (book 0.5) – Dec-20
- Code of Conduct (book 1)
- Rules of Conflict (book 2)
- Law of Survival (book 3)
- Contact Imminent (book 4)
- Endgame (book 5)
9. The Sequoyah trilogy by Sabrina Chase (3 Books), two more to read
- The Long Way Home (book 1) – Aug-20
- Raven’s Children (book 2)
- Queen of Chaos (book 3)
10. Free-Wrench by Joseph Lallo (6 Books), five more to read
- Free-Wrench (book 1) – Nov-21
- Skykeep (book 2)
- Ichor Well (book 3)
- The Calderan Problem (book 4)
- Cipher Hill (book 5)
- Contaminant Six (book 6)