The Alphabet Soup reading challenge
is run by Lori Caswell at Escape with Dollycas into a Good Book
The challenge is to read one book whose title gives you a letter of the alphabet, not counting A and The as starting letters, making 26 in all. I’ll be adding my titles that qualify during the year, just one per letter, and linking them to my reviews here. The challenge, of course is to come up with books for the difficult letters, although Lori allows some leeway in where the Q, X or Z turns up in the title.
You can do book titles or the Author edition: same idea, but this time the author’s name determines the letter. I did this version in 2019, and a sort of mixture in 2020.
- 2016: I completed the list with Zoe & Zak and the Yogi’s Curse (although Goodreads does categorise it under Y), and book 1 in the Adventures of the X Pirates series.
- 2017: I decided to let the X go, but searching my list on just X brought up Extraordinary… so I offered that. So… I did it!
- 2018: After a late push to get several letters like L P & H read, I finished with 25/26. I missed X, as I couldn’t get hold of a copy of the GMGR book for the letter X.
- 2019: the Alphabet Soup Author Edition – complete!
- 2020: Abandoned X but achieved all the rest.
- 2021: ditto. My main problem is–having put some X titles on my list– I don’t want to read most of them!
Challenge for 2022
Back to basics again – or keeping it simple. Titles of books, not counting A or The, with some leeway on where Q, X or Z appear. I’m giving myself a clue for books I’ve noticed already.
A – Andorra Pett and the Oort Cloud Cafe by Richard Dee (read Feb-22)
B – Birdgirl by Mya-Rose Craig (read Jun-22)
C – CassaDark by Alex J Cavanaugh (read Jan-22)
D – Decrypted (Forgotten Ages #2) by Lindsay Buroker (read May-22)
E – Encrypted (Forgotten Ages #1.5) by Lindsay Buroker (read Apr-22)
F – The Flames by Sophie Haydock (read Feb-22)
G – Grove of the Caesars (Flavia Albia #8) by Lindsey Davis (read Sep-22)
H – He Knew He Was Right: The Life of James Lovelock by John Gribben (read Aug-22)
I – I, Mona Lisa by Natasha Solomons (read Jan-22)
J – Jada Johnson, International Girl Detective: The Case of the Emperor’s Scepter by Carris Kane (read Apr-22)
K – Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro (Listened Sep-22)
L – The Locked Room (Dr Ruth Galloway #14) by Elly Griffiths (read Feb-22)
M – Max’s Royal Adventure (Shadows from the Past #16) by Wendy Leighton-Porter (read Mar-22)
N – Nocturne (The Guardian of the Opera #1) by Cheryl Mahoney (read Sep-22)
O – The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (read Jan-22)
P – The Psychology of Time Travel by Kate Mascarenhas (read Jan-22)
Q – A Quick Death by Patricia Josephine (read May -22)
R – The Raven Boys (Raven Boys Cycle #1) by Maggie Stiefvater (read Apr-22)
S – Shadow of the Witchfinder by Wendy Leighton-Porter (read Jan-22)
T – Theatre of Marvels by Lianne Dillsworth (read Apr-22)
U – Untethered ed. Rhonda Parrish (read Jun-22)
V – Voyage of the Lanternfish (Lanternfish #1) by C S Boyack (read Jul-22)
W – When We Were Birds by Ayanna Lloyd Banwo (read Jan-22)
X – X
Y – You Go First by Erin Entrada Kelly (read Feb-22)
Z – Z