It is organised by My Reader’s Block, an Australian site 🙂 and you can read all the details HERE.
The key is to sign up to a mountain of books you are going to read, and report on your progress quarterly. The books that count are ones you have in your possession at the end of the previous year – no additions and ARCs or library books, or anything like that afterwards. As usual with these challenges you can upgrade to a higher level if you find you’re doing well, but you can’t downgrade.
Why not sign up to read your own pile – the basic level is 12, or one a month.
My previous attempts at scaling Mount TBR
2016 – aimed at 24 and reached 26
2017 – aiming for Mt Vancouver (36 books) Got to 32 and had to push to get there – I took too many ARCs for the later stages of the year
2018 – It was a very close run thing – but I stepped onto the summit of Mount Vancouver at 8 pm on 31st Dec!
2019 – abject failure, only achieving 2 1/2 mountains (28/36). Oh well, onwards and upwards.
2020 – very pleased to report that, thanks to reading a stack of shorter books in December, I made it to Mount Vancouver (36 books)
2021 – a much better paced list this year, but I do feel guilty at all the ones that joined the TBR in the last couple of months of the previous year! Still, anything to scale Mount Vancouver (36 books)
Yes, I have signed up to scale Mount Vancouver again (36 books). It’s the only way to push me into reducing my TBR.
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman (tbr Apr-15)
- When We Were Birds by Ayanna Lloyd Banwo (tbr Nov-21)
- I, Mona Lisa by Natasha Solomons (tbr Nov-21)
- CassaDark by Alex J Cavanaugh (tbr Dec-21)
- Shadow of the Witchfinder by Wendy Leighton-Porter (tbr Nov-19)
- The Psychology of Time Travel by Kate Mascarenhas (tbr Nov-21)
- The Locked Room (Dr Ruth Galloway #14) by Elly Griffiths (tbr Sep-21)
- Andorra Pett and the Oort Cloud Cafe by Richard Dee (tbr Dec-19)
- Yinka, Where is Your Huzband? by Lizzie Damilola Blackburn (tbr Dec-21)
- Max’s Undercover Adventure, Max’s Halloween Adventure and Max’s Royal Adventure By Wendy Leighton-Porter (tbr Dec-21)
- Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus (tbr Aug-21)
- Enigma (Forgotten Ages #1.5) by Lindsay Buroker (tbr Dec-21) *** First Mountain climbed! ***
- Theatre of Marvels by Lianne Dillsworth (tbr Sep-21)
- Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir (tbr Nov-21)
- The Raven Boys (Raven Boys Cycle #1) by Maggie Stiefvater (tbr Dec-14)
- The Image of Her by Sonia Velton (tbr Aug-21)
- Pandora’s Boy (Flavia Albia #6) by Lindsey Davis (tbr Apr-18)
- The Third Nero (Flavia Albia #5) by Lindsey Davis (tbr Dec-16) *** Halfway point reached! ***
- Decrypted (Forgotten Ages #2) by Lindsay Buroker (tbr Nov-16)
- Shadow of the Great Fire (Shadows from the Past #17)by Wendy Leighton-Porter (tbr Nov-20)
- Voyage of the Lanternfish (Lanternfish #1) by C S Boyack (tbr Feb-21)
- Dining Out On Planet Mercury (Dining Out #4) by Claire O’Beara (tbr Feb-18)
- He Knew He Was Right: The Life of James Lovelock by John Gribben (tbr Dec-16)
- A Capitol Death (Flavia Alba #7) by Lindsey Davis (tbr Nov-18) *** Second Mountain climbed! ***
- This is How You Win the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone (tbr Nov-19)
- The Grove of the Caesars (Flavia Alba #8) by Lindsey Davis (tbr Apr-20)
- Silver & Iron (Sage Trilogy #3) by Marian Allen (tbr Apr-20)
- Nocturne (Guardian of the Opera #1) by Cheryl Mahoney (tbr Nov-21)
- The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall (tbr Nov-13)
- Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro (tbr Aug-21)
- A Comedy of Terrors (Flavia Alba #9) by Lindsey Davis (tbr Oct-21)
- The Cairo Arrangement by Bruce Colbert (tbr Nov-16)
- Short Stories from Hogwarts of Heroism, Hardship and Dangerous Hobbies (Pottermore Presents #1) by J K Rowling (tbr Aug-16)
- HMS Lanternfish (Lanternfish #2) by C S Boyack (tbr Dec-21)
- Solstice Day Gifts (Emperor’s Edge #7.5) by Lindsey Buroker (tbr Dec-21)